I’ll be honest here… It’s boring. The book was a fine little mystery with some great historical facts thrown in, but nothing spectacular by any stretch. The problem the film faces is it can’t delve too deeply with the historical stuff, for fear of making the film a pseudo-documentary. So sadly, it had to discard the most entertaining aspects of the book, and rely only on the pot boiler mystery which as I‘ve already said, is no great shakes.
Well ‘The Da Vinci code’ has just given more truth to the statement that the movie is NEVER as good as the book. BUT, this got me to thinking...... what book is not as good as the movie? It HAS happened you know! So here we go….. a list of films I thought were better than the book!
- The Godfather (The only one on this list where the book isn’t even CLOSE!)
- Jaws (The book is more pulp and Soap Opera than this Spielberg classic)
- Blade Runner (The book is called “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” and I found it very dull … mind you I was 12 when I read it.
- Shawshank Redemption (Probably the only Stephen King I’d put in this category)
- Silence of the Lambs (Much scarier on the Big screen… I’ll never forget when I saw this in
how cousin Giles jumped like a woman four separate times!) England
- Excalibur (The original book is 'Le Morte D'Arthur' and was published in the 1500’s. I own the damn thing but it’s about as dry as the
Saharadesert in August.)
Oh yeah one other thing… I’m still looking for a Job and getting a little worried, so if you’d like, you can click here to download my resume and HIRE ME!!!!!